King Jeongjo, the great reformer of the late Joseon period, put together the merchants from Hanyang (Seoul) and Samnam regions to create a new market at the newly-built Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon. The southern gate (Nammun) of Hwaseong Fortress is ”Paldalmun Gate.” Nammun Market is a group of nine markets surrounding the Paldalmun Gate, which merged together to create the largest market in Gyeonggi-do Province.
Suwon Nammun Market is the only market in the history of Korea to have been created by a royal decree, and boasts a 220-year history.
The nine markets of Nammun Market include Gucheon-dong Tool Market, which recreates the history of Korean blacksmithing in modern times, Nammun Rodeo Market and Simin Market, which can be said the Suwon’s fashion centers,Motgol Market with Joseon-period atmosphere, Minarigwang Market, which is the largest side dish market of Suwon, Young-dong Market filled with colorful offerings of Korean traditional costumes, Jidong Market famous for its blood sausage alley,and Paldalmun Market with the famous fried chicken street.As such, Suwon Nammun Market offers the full range of traditional market experience, with interesting sights, food, fun, and rest in a single, exciting space.
Other attractions like the Hwaseong Fortress Tourist Trolley, which passes through the UNESCO World Heritage Hwaseong Fortress, Velo Taxi, Flying Suwon, seasonal festivals, and the market’s very own Nammun Market Broadcast Center, there’s fun to be had every day in Nammun Market.
09:00–19:00 everyday (* Opening hours may vary depending on the store.)
Public parking lots: Paldal Parking Tower, Gucheondong Tools Shopping Mall, and Gyodong Public Parking Lot (Nammun Rodeo Market)
Parking lots for market customers: Yeongdong Market and Jidong Market
Tourist Attractions Nearby
- Hwaseong Fortress, Suwon (including Four Gates of Hwaseong Haenggung Temporary Palace: Janganmun Gate, Paldalmun Gate, Changnyongmun Gate, and Hwaseomun Gate)
- Flying Suwon (helium-filled balloon), Hwaseong Fortress Tourist Trolley, and Velo Taxi
- Gilt-Making Program
- Jidong Blood Sausage School (in May)
- Gucheondong Blacksmith Shop (in July)
- Suwon Hwaseong Cultural Festival (for three days from Friday to Sunday in early October / Venue : across Hwaseong Fortress, Suwon including Hwaseong Haenggung Temporary Palace, Yeonmudae Post, and Suwoncheon Stream)
- Street festivals near the local markets in the Paldalmun Gate area (for three days from Friday to Sunday in mid October / Venue: Jidonggyo Plaza)
- Hanbok Figure Contest, Citizens Song Festival, and University Students Song Festival